I am interested in researching in new technology and building new applications. I am also enthusiastic to be a teacher and help students.
I live in Amherst, MA with my wife and family, but I travel very often to NYC and Bay Area in a regular basis.
I worked in Yahoo, IBM, Microsoft, Kodak labs and NEC Labs, as a full time employee or an intern. I also co-found one company named HelloVera AI. When startup life introduced pressure, I relaxed myself by teaching at Columbia University. I am very grateful to know the many great colleagues who I have worked with.
I received my Ph.D. from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Advisor: Prof. Thomas S. Huang), M.Phil. from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Advisor: Prof. Xiaoou Tang and Prof. Jianzhuang Liu), and Bachelor degree from University of Science and Technology of China.
I am a senior member of IEEE and a member of ACM.
- Area chair, ACM Multimedia 2017
- Industrial chair, ICMR 2017
- Area chair, WACV 2017
- Co-orginizer, ACM Multimedia Yahoo-Flickr Grand Challenge on Tag and Caption Prediction, 2016
- Co-organizer, ACM Multimedia Grand Challenge "New York City 360", 2014-2015
- Area chair, WACV, 2014
- Guest editor, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 2014
- Founding co-chair, ACM workshop on Geo-Multimedia, 2012-2014
- Guest editor, IEEE MultiMedia Magazine, 2014
- General co-chair, Greater New York Area Multimedia and Vision Meeting, 2012 - 2013.
- Area chair, ACM Multimedia, 2012
- Guest editor, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (TOMMCCAP), 2013
- ACM SIGMM Rising Star Award, 2017
- First Place in Watson NLP TAO Challenge, 2014
- IBM Research Division Award, Dec 2013
- IBM Research Division Award, May 2013
- IBM Research Division Award, Nov 2012
- First Place in ImageCLEF Medical Image Classification, 2013
- IBM Outstanding Technical Accomplishment (for multimedia group), 2012
- Best Paper Award, the 1st International Workshop on Big Data Mining, 2012
- First Place in ImageCLEF Medical Image Classification, 2012
- First Place in ImageNet Large Scale Visual Recognition, 2010
- Emerging Leader in Multimedia and Signal Processing from IBM Watson workshop, 2010
- Facebook Fellowship Finalist, 2010
- UIUC Computer Science and Engineering Fellow, 2009-2010
- Nomination for the Distinguished Master Thesis of the Faculty of Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award, University of Science and Technology of China, 2003
- First Class Mathematics Olympic, Liaoning Province, China, 1997